Interplay Of Hops And Yeast
Hops and yeast are the "smallest" raw materials in terms of quantity. However, their effect on the sensory properties makes them all the more important and they are the determining factor for many beer styles.
Interplay of Hops and Yeast
A common feature of the two brewing raw materials, so different at first glance, is their enormous influence on sensory properties, both through the use of different varieties/strains and through the technology used. In addition, yeasts can influence hop constituents through so-called biotransformation in beer.
- Attendance Seminar
- Online Seminar
per person (incl. VAT)
- there is currently no online seminar for this course -
2 day hopinar on 23.05.2023 and 24.05.2023
Tuesday, May 23, 2023
- 10:30 Welcome
- 11:00- 12:00 Introduction Hops: cultivation - harvest - processing
- 12:00- 13:00 Flavor Training: 12 categories HOPSESSED (practical)
- 13:00- 14:00 Lunch
- 14:00- 14:30 Introduction Hop Aroma
- 14:30- 15:30 Characterization Of Hop Aroma: comparison of different hop varieties (practical)
- 15:30- 16:00 Break
- 16:00- 17:00 Introduction Yeast: yeast diversity and what makes yeast happy
Wednesday, May 24, 2023
- 9:00- 10:00 Fermentation Side Products: Formation by the yeast and influence on the beer aroma
- 10:00- 11:00 Tasting of typical fermentation sideproducts
- 11:00- 11:20 Break
- 11:20- 12:00 Dry Hopping Options: the right time/the right implementation
- 12:00- 13:00 Fermentation technology and aroma formation by the yeast
- 13:00- 14:00 Lunch
- 14:00- 15:00 The sensory diversity of yeast strains in theory and practice
- 15:00- 15:45 Biotransformation Release and Conversion of Hop Aroma Compounds by Yeast: state of knowledge
- 15:45- 16:00 Break
- 16:00- 16:45 Tasting: Interplay of hops & yeast in practice
Head of BarthHaas Campus
Dr. Christina Schönberger
Business Unit Manager of the Doemens Genussakademie
Dr. Michael Zepf
The course will take place on the premises of the BarthHaas Campus in Nuremberg.
Bright and modern rooms, our in-house taproom, a bonitier room with sensory studio and our centerpiece the concept brewery invite creative work and exchange of ideas.
Good to know:
The registration deadline is 10 days before the event, spaces on the course are limited.
For accommodation, we recommend the Hotel Bruderherz in Nuremberg:
Nuremberg main station is about 5 minutes’ walk from the Bruderherz.
The S1 train leaves from the main station every 20 minutes and takes 12 minutes to BarthHaas. Alight at the stop "Nürnberg Mögeldorf". BarthHaas is (almost) directly opposite the stop.
The seminar is open to all interested parties, but is also part of the classroom training program of the "Candidates of the IMB".
All further information can be found here
These Courses Might Also Interest You